|Director of Graduate Recruiting: Dr. Shane StreetDirector of Graduate Studies: Dr. Stephen Woski||Director of Graduate Recruiting
Department of Chemistry
The University of Alabama
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0336
Email the Director of Graduate Recruiting
How to Apply
Information on the application process, and an online application, can be found at the Graduate School’s Electronic Application Center. To apply, you should submit the following materials:
- The official Graduate School Application, which can be filled out online.
- Three letters of recommendation from professional references must be sent to the Chemistry Department. Preferably these letters will come from chemistry faculty who have been your instructor or research mentor, or from supervisors in chemstry-related jobs.
- A statement of purpose outlining why you want to go to graduate school, and what you career goals are. Of particular interest is the area(s) of chemistry that you most wish to pursue. Online submission is preferred.
- Official transcripts from all college level institutions you’ve attended, whether or not a degree was earned. Transcripts can be sent to the Department at the address listed above. They can also be sent directly to the UA Graduate School. The Department and the Graduate School share information and, therefore, either can originally receive the transcripts.
- Official GRE scores.
- Official TOEFL scores are required for international students.
- Application fee. For domestic applicants, the application fee may be paid by the Department. Contact Ms. Janice Voss or Prof. Street before starting the application process for instructions.
Although there is not an official application deadline, complete applications received by January 1st will receive full consideration for admission and financial support, including fellowships.
Starting in January of each year, this Department’s Graduate Recruiting Committee will select outstanding applications to be submitted for consideration for the following University-wide graduate fellowships:
- Graduate Council Fellowship
- Dean’s Merit award
- Dean’s Diversity award
- McNair Scholars Program
Only completed applications can be considered. It is therefore in your best interest to complete all parts of your application by January 1st in order to be considered for these opportunities.
Later applications will still be considered for admission after that date, until all available positions are filled.
Visit the Department of Chemistry
We encourage all prospective students to visit the Department of Chemistry. Department visits are a critical component of the process of deciding which graduate program is right for you. We generally encourage students to plan to spend at least one full day in the department so that they can visit with faculty and graduate students. The department will cover all reasonable travel expenses for any student who has completed his or her application to the graduate program. To arrange a visit, contact Ms. Janice Voss or Dr. Street to find a suitable date for your visit. Visits can be arranged any time of year, but are usually best if arranged during the regular academic term to ensure that most faculty will be around. Most students visit during the early spring.