Gamma Sigma Epsilon (ΓΣΕ) is a national honor society for students studying chemistry. The society was founded in 1919 at Davidson College in Georgia. There are currently over 40 chapters of ΓΣΕ in 18 states.
The UA chapter of ΓΣΕ (Delta Beta) was founded in 1924 and is the second oldest active chapter. It has a long history of recognizing the outstanding students and faculty of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
Membership in ΓΣΕ is available to any chemistry or chemical engineering major or minor who has completed at least 14 hours of chemistry courses at UA, has a 3.3 GPA in chemistry, and a 3.3 GPA overall. Induction of new members occurs during the spring semester. For more information, download our constitution and bylaws, or contact Dr. Kevin Shaughnessy, ΓΣΕ faculty advisor, by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone, (205) 348-4435.
Membership in Gamma Sigma Epsilon is open to all chemistry majors and minors and chemical engineering majors who meet these qualifications:
- Be a chemistry or chemical engineering major or minor who will have completed at least 14 hours of chemistry courses by the end of the current semester
- Have a GPA of 3.3 or higher for both chemistry courses and overall
Or, for current juniors or seniors whose GPA is below the required 3.3 either overall or in chemistry,
- Be a chemistry or chemical engineering major or minor planning to graduate within one academic year of the current semester.
- Have an academic record in chemistry is satisfactory for the preceding year (3.3 GPA in chemistry and overall)
- Have made a contribution to the department through research, service, or other activities
Spring 2023 applications are due February 10th. There is a $50 dollar initiation fee to join the group, of which $40 goes to the national organization and $10 supports the local chapter.